Certain types of molds are capable of producing a class of compounds called mycotoxins. Identifying mold is important because it is a common cause of asthma and/or allergic reaction with sensitized people. For these people, exposure to molds can cause symptoms such as nasal stuffiness, eye irritation, wheezing, or skin irritation.
Some people, such as those with serious allergies to molds, may have more severe reactions such as memory loss or severe lung problems. It's thought that mycotoxins are more likely to trigger health problems in even healthy individuals.
Mold and Mood. Not only unhealthy for your lungs, mold may play a role in depression risk, says a study published in the American Journal of Public Health. In surveying nearly 6,000 European adults, researchers found a connection between living in a moldy home and suffering from depression.
"Depressed people are probably less likely to take good care of their homes, which partly explains the link," says epidemiologist and lead study author Edmond Shenassa. But preliminary evidence also suggests that mold may weaken the function of a brain region responsible for regulating emotion. Mold-related health troubles, like wheezing and fatigue, might also influence depression risk, says Shenassa. "If you're sick from mold, and you feel you can't get rid of it, that may affect your mental health", he notes.
Other symptoms that have been associated with mold: burning eyes, blurred vision, respiratory illness, chest pains, chest tightness, shortness of breath, wheezing, dry cough, nasal congestion, aggravated asthma and cognitive disorder.
It is a fact that molds produce allergens and irritants that can cause exposed individuals to experience symptoms of hay fever i.e. sneezing, runny nose, skin rashes, irritated eyes as well as nose, throat and lung ailments.
Many toxic molds, including black mold, produce poisonous substances called mycotoxins. These toxins interfere with cell structures and processes, and have the potential to cause serious health issues. Their effects to the body have been documented using controlled conditions in a laboratory.
Mycotoxins have been proven to be present indoors with victims suffering from: pulmonary hemorrhage or pulmonary hemosiderosis (primarily in infants), headaches and other flu-like symptoms, nose bleeds, immune system suppression (resulting in increased numbers of infections), hair loss, chronic fatigue, psychological depression, diarrhea, sore throats and dermatitis.